Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Great Graphic Novel! By Feiffer!

Ah, the excitement of having a blog, even if nobody visits...If you have time, press the NextBlog button at top of screen and you'll see some other blogs that are, at present, more visually interesting than this one. But I hope to change that, starting with this issue.
GRAPHIC NOVELS.I've been writing books for years, and drawing cartoons, and recently I thought about starting a graphic novel. I mentioned this to a local librarian and that I wanted to research other graphic novels. He pointed me to several collections. Here's one that's from the 1970s but very funny and worth finding a copy to read. It's TANTRUM by Jules Feiffer.





The story is simple. A middle-aged man is unhappy and wishes he were two years old again and, presto, he is. His wife and teenage kids are distraught. He runs away and pursues pleasures that should make him feel young again. Finally... well, I won't spoil it for you. Here's more of Feiffer's drawings. It looks scribbled and not worked-over, as if he made the whole book in a feverish burst of creativity. Ah! To have a feverish burst again! (I once wrote a short novel in two weekends. It's no good, of course, but every once in a while I think of it again and may revise it.)






































1 comment:

Unknown said...

You might enjoy this Mr. Media podcast interview with cartoonist Jules Feiffer, who talks about the new collection of his comic strips from the Village Voice, getting his start with Will Eisner on The Spirit, his plays (Little Murders), his movies (Carnal Knowledge, Popeye), the Disney musical adaptation of The Man in the Ceiling, and his forthcoming memoirs.