Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Grumpy Curmudgeon Blogs

A daughter has set this blog up for me so that I can, as she puts it, "rant". I do not think of myself as a ranter. Rather, I'm an older person who has some things to say and no other outlet. If you discern any shadows of wisdom in the occasional pieces I put here, please let me know.

I'm unsure what I'll write about. Perhaps, since I'm reading a lot, I'll discuss some of the books I read, the thoughts and ideas in them and what they may stimulate in me.

book crit:"gods behaving badly" a novel by marie phillips. I like this novel. Lotsa fun and surprises. It's got the old Greek gods, from Athena to Zeus. Aphrodite is here too, and as sexy and flighty as Madonna or Paris Hilton. Apollo the sun god is a handsome selfish libertine. The thing is, that since people stopped believing in them, this set of gods have grown weaker, had to leave Mt. Olympus and now live in a London house. It's not a good house and it's in a run-down neighborhood and because the gods are not accustomed to cleaning up after themselves, the house is a mess. Artemis (you may remember her as Diana the Huntress) decides they need a cleaning lady, so she hires Alice, a modest and shy young woman who has a modest and shy suitor named Neil. Troubles begin when Apollo gets the hots for Alice. Madly, passionately, because he's been shot with an arrow by Eros, at the instigation of naughty Aphrodite. I won't tell you what happens, but the world almost comes to an end, and several characters visit the Underworld, which is a fairly bleak but well thought-out piece of eternity.

Complaint: the author rules out the existence of any other God and to me that's a cheap shot; I'd have liked to see the gods in this book cope with the God of Christianity, which is the one I understand best. However, she had to limit the players and the landscape or the book would have been twice as long. Or maybe impossible to write.
Anyway, it's fun.

OK, what next? Upcoming are reviews of graphic novels I've read recently. It's a new focus for me because I want to make a graphic novel, so I'm studying the best of what I can find available and I'll talk about them and put up illustrations where I can.

1 comment:

Hinklebell said...

Nice job Grumpy-o. Keep up the writing.