Monday, June 16, 2008

I LIKE Crows

First, a recent news report: 
(Reuters) Patna, India: Train services were disrupted in parts of eastern India...after flocks of agitated crows snapped overhead powerlines when railway workers tried to clear their nests.

Penny, my wife, is a devoted bird watcher. Due mostly to her, we have bird feeders in front and back of our rental house. It falls to me to keep them filled with tasty seeds. In the act, I somehow found myself actually looking at the different birds and growing involved with them. Especially with crows. The crows on Martha's Vineyard are larger than crows in New Jersey; I thought they were ravens. We have one who sits on the edge of the bird bath and drops in tasty crumpets he's seized from some workingman's lunch bag, to soften them, then flies off. 

Crows in general are full of behavior. When they walk, they strut. When they get together to chat, they go chit-chit-chit. When they sing up the dawn like roosters, it's a kawww, kawww. When they swoop, other birds get out of the way. I have grown to like/love them. 

However, this guy, an outdoors columnist no less, doesn't understand crows. Or birds, apparently!  http://www.meridianstar.com/outdoors/local_story_040002917.html.
Hard to fathom how he can be so puzzled...

No comments: