Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Work or Something Like It, part three

I'm working again, after years of carefree, free-lance life. And I'm actually working in journalism, having made that my degree pursuit, both in undergrad and post-grad work.

I'm copy editor at the Martha's Vineyard Times, a tabloid-sized weekly on Martha's Vineyard. It's the second weekly, the first being the venerable Gazette, which tried to follow in the tradition of Country Editor Henry Beetle Hough. A friend this last week characterized the Gazette as being for a different (higher) class of folks than the Times. The Times is delivered free to every post office box on the Vineyard, whereas the Gazette depends on subscriptions for its circulation.

It's interesting work and fun, although I'm drinking way too much coffee.

Last night, two friends-who-fish and their wives took me and my wife out on a picnic with fishing rods. Bill Moody loaned me a spinning rod 'n reel and a nice lure, and taught me how to cast my hopes out into the waves from South Beach. No bites from blues or bass, but it was fun nevertheless. Next step is probably to buy my own gear.

No comments: