Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Dibble and Me

Saturday morning we went to the beach road between Oak Bluffs and Edgartown. Many volunteers gathered there to plant beach grass. The beach grass was in clumps as provided from a nursery and it had to be separated and one stalk dropped into a hole punched in the sand.

Punching holes in the sand was the job for Guys like me carrying Dibbles. A dibble is a shovel-sized pole--on its end a fork consisting of two tines, 12 inches apart. I moved along, punching two holes at a time, while my wife and another lady followed and planted beach grass. 

After a couple hours we decided to leave because so many other volunteers showed up. It was a great day to be out working.

What I didn't realize until I got home was how tired I was. It continued this morning, when after church I went to help clean a park of dead sticks. I was able to work for only an hour. Pooped. 

I have to admire all the volunteers on Martha's Vineyard. Intelligent hard-working people. We're happy to be among them.

No comments: