Thursday, April 10, 2008

Harry Potter's First Job Application

Name: Harry Potter
Whereabouts secret, Contact me by Owl

I most recently attended Hogwart’s School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, leaving after my 6th year with several N.E.W.T.’s to pursue a course of independent study designed by the late headmaster of Hogwarts, the much-admired Albus Dumbledore.

This last year was extremely dangerous and required me to learn much more about magic and, indeed, about human nature, than any prescribed set of courses could. I was to pursue and, if possible, slay before he killed me the Dark Lord who called himself Lord Voldemort. That I succeeded is due in great measure to the continuing advice I received from Professor Dumbledore, from the steadfast support of friends who more than once saved my life, and from some erstwhile enemies who at least temporarily aligned themselves with my pursuit.

But the full story has yet to be told. Tired of notoriety, weary of being blamed for things that I haven’t done or that aren’t my fault, bored by gossip and impoverished by celebrity, pursued by vengeful Death Eaters, I’m eager to find a steady occupation in this unsteady world, in which I may — in some sort of disguise — continue to grow, meet challenges and rescue others from death or worse.

In short, I seek a position in which I may continue to battle evil.

I understand that I do not have the formal credentials to qualify as an Auror, but it is my hope, as it was the hope of Professors Dumbledore and the current headmistress of Hogwarts, Professor McGonigal, that my extracurricular activities and independent study may prove sufficient.

Short List of Achievements: Using a powerful counter-hex (i.e., Mother-Love), I thwarted Voldemort’s desperate attempt to kill me as a baby. Ten years later, thwarted the weakened Voldemort’s desperate attempt to regain human form by stealing the Sorceror’s Stone. A year later, confronted and defeated the Monster in the Chamber of Secrets and saved the life of Ginny Weasley. A year later, saved Sirius Black from Dementors and a Hippogriff from false accusation and beheading. Won the Tri-Wizard cup in my fourth year at Hogwarts and engaged the reanimated Voldemort in a duel. A year later, thwarted Voldemort again by denying him a prophecy that concerned him. Also assembled and led a group of students in battling Death-Eaters. In my sixth year, I started a private course of study with Professor Dumbledore and accompanied him on what turned out to be his final mission in an effort to defeat Voldemort.

Family: I am a Serial Orphan Boy, first by my parents James and Lily Potter, who were killed by Voldemort when I was one year old. Then, by my godfather Sirius Black, who died when I was 14, lastly by surrogate parental figure, Professor Dumbledore. Lived for some years with a Muggle family, but by mutual agreement that attachment has been severed. Now, age 18, I wish to have no more family because I cannot abide the pangs of loss. I wish just to have friends and occasional romantic attachments, which seems the way of witches and wizards.

Job Experience: Taught Defense Against the Dark Arts as an unpaid instructor while at Hogwarts. Could be persuaded to teach same as an intermediate step toward my ultimate goal. Captained Hogwarts Quidditch Team as Seeker, and led it to win the House Cup in my 6th year. I would of course willingly accept assignment to a professional team.

Recommendations: Please interview Prof. Dumbledore’s portrait in the Headmaster’s office at Hogwarts.

In Case of Disappearance or Demise, please notify: Prof. McGonagall, Headmistress, and Dobby, House Elf, Hogwarts; Remus Lupin, itinerant teacher; Hermione Granger, Apprentice, Department of Mysteries; and Ronald Weasley, Keeper, Worcester Warlocks.

2 comments:

Laura said...

interesting, but there's more info in book seven! i.e., happily, he does have a family later with Ginny, and sadly, Remus Lupin dies at the end of the book.

yes, I'm a fanatic.

but I do like the job app idea!

ObiDonWan said...

Thanks, Laura. I actually wrote this after Book Six and just now found it on my computer and decided to post it, despite the sense of incompleteness.